Stern Bros. & Co., New York, NY was founded in 1868 by Nathan Stern in Philadelphia, PA. Within a few years they expanded and moved operations to New York. The company ceased operating in 1933 due to the stock market crash of 1929. From the period 1908-1912, the company used an “S” as it’s trademark with a “B” in the upper curve and a “C” in lower curve of the “S”. Therefore, we can accurately date this thimble to that time period as this mark is on the outside band along side the number 9 and the word “Sterling”. There is a band of decoration at the bottom, there are no punctures but this thimble is quite out of round. It has seen many years of use, perhaps it was her favorite!